Let me first bestow upon everyone a very Happy New Year!
A healthy sized winter storm looks like it’s approaching the Boston area on Tuesday (1/27/15). It’s always good to make sure you are safe and sound in any hazardous weather event. Below I’ve included my list for items you should keep in your car in the winter that I’ve developed over years of driving.
While you should make sure your car is prepped with a full tank of gas, washer fluid, good battery, jumper cables and correctly inflated tires, there are other items you should carry for safety. Always charge your phone and iOS devices before you leave. If you have to drive in a storm, over preparation, is better than under preparation.
Prep your car in the winter by carrying the following items, especially if you know you have to drive in a snowstorm:
- Spare Gloves (mittens are even better)
- Spare Coat (You can pick one up at a used clothing store or call me if you’re local.)
- Spare Hat and scarf
- Foot and Hand warmers
- Sturdy ice scraper
- Shovel – small and strong
- Bottle(s) of water (don’t leave in car when you exit car for the night)
- Cheese or peanut butter cracker packages
- Rock salt, sand, or some other ice melt (I usually carry 3 coffee cans full of it.)
- A spare pair of boots – it doesn’t hurt to toss them into the car
- Windex and paper towels
- Duct tape – always carry duct tape! 😉
I also keep hand wipes, ear muffs, neoprene or turtle fur face mask, and pen or pencil and paper in my car.
While other people don’t usually carry the following things, I do because one never knows. I have a good sized trunk and often stop for photo opps. As my friend Barry always says, I will fill to capacity any empty space allowed to me!
- Mat, like you’d use for camping
- Foam or rubber seat cushion
- Folding chair
- Spare tripod
Please stay safe and warm!
the most important thins you left out 1) waterproof matches 2) at least 2 cartons of your favorite brand of cigarettes (well hidden) and a few full lighters. and 3) in case it gets real bad, a place to visit in Florida :):):)